Weight Loss Myths That Drive Away People From Losing Weight

weight loss myths

A lot of times we give up before we even start trying. At other places we get sidetracked because of a belief that contradicts with reality. There are in general hundreds of myths pertaining to weight loss that actually prevent people from losing weight because they get highly demotivated and the continuous chants get the best of their judgments.

At the forefront is the common misconception that healthful food does not taste as good as processed food. Surely there are some of us that are highly selective about tastes and textures but not all dietary food is bland and unappetizing. You can easily add tons of spices and homemade sauces to a multitude of delicious recipes of healthy food and have zero qualms about the taste.

Also nagging behind people’s minds is the thought that if they wish to lose weight they need to have a perfect diet devoid of any semblance of the kinds of food you enjoy eating. As a guideline you need to intake calories through whole foods only 80% of the time while the rest 10-20% can accommodate pleasure foods and delicacies outside the norm if you are apt at handling your portions right and maintain a calorie deficit nonetheless.

When it comes to controlling calories we tend to stick to a rigid philosophy that only a 500 to 1000 calorie deficit will result a pound or two pound weight loss each week. Not all of us have the capacity to lose so many calories at once and still have enough muscle tissue and an active metabolism. The truth of the matter is we should as many calories as possible that allow us to lose weight and we can start with cutting back a 100-200 calorie value that can be gradually increased over time.

weight loss myths 2

Is it quality over quantity or vice versa? In the realm of weight loss the specific number of meals and the frequency does not make much of an impact. If you think eating small meals 6 times will help you lose weight then rest assured you will do just as good with a 3 meal per day plan that easily fits into your lifestyle.

The 55-70% of our max heart rate is the fat burning zone and people usually believe it is the best course to exercise in the fat burning zone to burn fat but that is not the only parameter to consider. Anaerobic exercises and strength are just as good and sometimes even better for weight loss especially since they are designed to build muscles and enhance your metabolism.

Another common error is the dependence of scales as a metric of performance. Know that even the scales aren’t shifting you might be making progress as body composition changes with the amount of water, hormones, glycogen and food in your system all the timeand you definitely get healthier on the inside even if you are not visibly losing weight.

People wrongly shun out fat from their diet because it is a high-calorie macronutrient but our body needs essential fatty acids to maintain hormones, lubricate joints and gather fat-soluble vitamins without which we actually do our bodies more harm.

When it comes to exercises people assume that spot training burns fat in a particular area but weight loss is systematic in nature and just as you do not control weight gain spots you cannot control weight loss spots and the body will lose fat as a whole.

Last but the most pressing of all the myths is that losing weight is always healthy but in certain cases that is not true and these two should be treated differently. To attain both goals one must eat healthy, exercise, take personal care and create a calorie deficit that is reasonable.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *